Everquest Shadowknight Forums  

Go Back   Everquest Shadowknight Forums > EverQuest > Abilities and Tactics

Abilities and Tactics A place to discuss SK abilities such as Spells, AA\'s, and Melee as well as how to best use them.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #1
sojero
title, custom

sojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pet able to tank when players near now

To have a more constructive thread about this I didn't want to talk on the eq forums as there are to many over there that just cannot have a logical discussion. What do you guys think of this? Has anyone tried with out agro pet? Anyone accidentally left pet taunt on and had issues? I personally have only raided since, so no real experiences yet. Then to the theoretical, How do you guys feel about these changes? For me time will tell, but in all honesty if pet can do it and you have the dps of the parent class, then well, other than raiding, why have a tank class? There is also way less risk now, oh pet dies, throw some swarm pets out that are insane agro and let them tank it till you get your regular pet back in the game. Also the fact that you have 2 anyhow with suspended minion makes it interesting as well. They are also now tank + healer in one, not that people dont say that about sk/pal now. On the other hand I do like the fact that it opens up way way more group dynamics now. You can have groups that you really couldnt do before, like 4 rouges, a mage/bst/nec +a healer, if you want the dps from the pet class owner, or a diff class and be fully functional.
sojero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
flatchy
I got my AA the old fashioned way I earned em

flatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much hating it. I have played with a mage for years now as the only other non boxed toon. Never had an issue with agro EVER, til know. Start out with agro dot on pull then toss dots at it. agro was pretty much locked down. As it goes now Hins pet takes agro from me in seconds. May as well use two hander all the time now I guess. Its not that big a deal really but like you said, why even have a tank class now. BTW I usually always have voice of thule on just because I can and I do use the agro poison for my weap. I also toss every dott we have at our disposal at every mob just because why not. Its enough to make me finally mem a terror spell (Ok not really lets not get carried away here).

12 level 105 toons, who do I want to be today???
flatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
Xanathol_EGN
Bored

Xanathol_EGN has a reputation beyond reputeXanathol_EGN has a reputation beyond reputeXanathol_EGN has a reputation beyond reputeXanathol_EGN has a reputation beyond reputeXanathol_EGN has a reputation beyond reputeXanathol_EGN has a reputation beyond reputeXanathol_EGN has a reputation beyond reputeXanathol_EGN has a reputation beyond reputeXanathol_EGN has a reputation beyond reputeXanathol_EGN has a reputation beyond reputeXanathol_EGN has a reputation beyond repute

In 'old EQ', if a pet class wanted to tank, the idea was that the character should have to focus on doing stuff to make it tank / survive. IMO, currently a mage with a cleric merc serves as a full group - tank, dps, and healer - and for old EQ, that would be beyond broke. But EQ is already broke, so why not? My only gripe is, if you let a few classes do it, then go ahead and let all classes do it - especially the ones that were designed to do a couple of roles at a time. But no, this team is in full retard mode, unable to process a logical thought, and doesn't give a shit if the game makes sense any more. Personally, I haven't logged on for more than 10 minutes but once since the expansion launched. If you still have a 'core group' or box (I'm too old for that shit), then perhaps the group stuff is ok; I honestly don't know. If you still dedicate many nights a week to a game, ie. raid, then at least you have something to do but good lord at what price? I'll probably kick it up again at some point (considering I paid for it), but for now, with the game how it is and the guild focused on new raids, there just isn't any fun in it right now, to me. I'm having more fun brushing off an old emu and updating it than logging into live.
Xanathol_EGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
Kelefane
[RETIRED]

Kelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond repute

Pets have been broke and have had weird proximity agro for years. I haven't played in well over a year now, so I don't know of any recent changes, but pets have been a nuisance to tanks for a long long time (In both raids and the group game) - I always hated to group with pet classes due to it. A tank shouldn't have to work overtime to hold agro. Its not fun. I think there is some weird old code with pets that the current devs cannot figure out (like much of the old code in the game) - I bet a complete rewrite/rework is in order for pets to fix these agro issues, but the devs just don't have the time or resources to ever get around to doing it. If I never retired and had continued playing, I'm pretty sure I would have main changed to my Monk by now. There are so many tank-replacement situations in the game where you no longer need a real tank (or at least when I played over a year ago there was)
Kelefane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:09 AM   #5
Rakharth

Rakharth has a spectacular aura aboutRakharth has a spectacular aura aboutRakharth has a spectacular aura about

Very annoying now mage pets are always fighting for agro now. Might have to just use wizard instead now its just too annoying.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
riou

riou has a reputation beyond reputeriou has a reputation beyond reputeriou has a reputation beyond reputeriou has a reputation beyond reputeriou has a reputation beyond reputeriou has a reputation beyond reputeriou has a reputation beyond reputeriou has a reputation beyond reputeriou has a reputation beyond reputeriou has a reputation beyond reputeriou has a reputation beyond repute

You guys try having the pet user use that Pet Calm Demeanor AA to see if that helps with them not out aggroing? It reduces pets aggro on everything by 40%.
riou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
flatchy
I got my AA the old fashioned way I earned em

flatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond repute

Its hard to teach an old (and I mean OLD) mage new tricks lol. I have asked him about it but I guess in the end as long as the mob don't move around and stays where im whacking at it, I don't care anymore hell ill just whip out the 2 hander and let the pet worry about being the one to die.

12 level 105 toons, who do I want to be today???
flatchy is offline   Reply With Quote