Everquest Shadowknight Forums  

Go Back   Everquest Shadowknight Forums > EverQuest > Abilities and Tactics

Abilities and Tactics A place to discuss SK abilities such as Spells, AA\'s, and Melee as well as how to best use them.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
GrobbSlob

GrobbSlob is on a distinguished road
Default Returning player question on fear kiting

Hey all.
Just came back after 13 years and wondering if fear kiting is still viable.
Went into Sanctus Seru to get my chops back up and noticed that green cons were immune to my fear.

I see they have capped fear spells for certain ranges, but my SK is 58 and I'm using invoke fear, which should stop sticking past 52.

Do I have that wrong or am I missing something?
Was fear nerfed, or are all the mobs in that zone immune, perhaps?

Any feedback would be awesome.
Thanks!
GrobbSlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
flatchy
I got my AA the old fashioned way I earned em

flatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond repute

In todays game, there is no fear kiting. I really have no Idea where you are at (cuz I didn't look it up) Last time I remember fear kiting was on the murkgliders in Nobles Causeway long time ago.

12 level 105 toons, who do I want to be today???
flatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
GrobbSlob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatchy View Post
In todays game, there is no fear kiting. I really have no Idea where you are at (cuz I didn't look it up) Last time I remember fear kiting was on the murkgliders in Nobles Causeway long time ago.
Ok, thanks flatchy.
Would you clarify that a bit for me?

Have fear spells been nerfed into uselessness, or they simply aren't part of the meta?
I solo fear kited for the majority of my time playing years ago, I'd like to do it again with mercs today.
I mean have they changed the class so much that it's not even possible anymore? Or is it just not optimal/preferred?

Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
Xanathol
Administrator

Xanathol has disabled reputation

Fear spells stopped being added long ago and many mobs were fear immune anyhow. Fear kiting is dead.

In today's EQ, hire a cleric merc and go to town.
Xanathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
GrobbSlob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathol View Post
Fear spells stopped being added long ago and many mobs were fear immune anyhow. Fear kiting is dead.

In today's EQ, hire a cleric merc and go to town.

I just bought my level 57 fear spell last night.
So fear spells are being sold by class vendors in the pok, and yet most mobs are somehow immune to it now?

That makes no sense.
I'm going to have to test it out for myself.

If its true that most mobs are immune to fear now and fear kiting is dead, then what is the point of playing this class? Why not just roll a warrior, or are they not able to tank the best anymore?

Sorry if I sound like an obtuse noob, but I was hoping to come back and have some of that old school magic.
I guess the game has radically changed since I left in 2003.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
sojero
title, custom

sojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond repute

our lifetaps make us solo way better than wars. All tanks are viable in all situations now. We just have different flavors.
sojero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
Ikrog
eltit motsuc a tes ot deen I

Ikrog has a reputation beyond reputeIkrog has a reputation beyond reputeIkrog has a reputation beyond reputeIkrog has a reputation beyond reputeIkrog has a reputation beyond reputeIkrog has a reputation beyond reputeIkrog has a reputation beyond reputeIkrog has a reputation beyond reputeIkrog has a reputation beyond reputeIkrog has a reputation beyond reputeIkrog has a reputation beyond repute

Even when fear kiting was a thing, it was far from the reason to play the class.

And as much a bummer as it was to see something nerfed, I was far from sad to move away from such a silly mechanic.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
flatchy
I got my AA the old fashioned way I earned em

flatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit I loved doing it. Me and a Necro friend would be at the burnt woods and id go pull giants down from the fort and we would kill em as they ran away from me (snared of course). Same thing in Draniks causeway. It was an easy way to get experience at a time of learning. Slow maybe, but it did the trick. Kind of like a lot of things really. You just move on and evolve. At the time it was fun and maybe gave me confidence, I dunno.

12 level 105 toons, who do I want to be today???
flatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #9
GrobbSlob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikrog View Post
Even when fear kiting was a thing, it was far from the reason to play the class.

And as much a bummer as it was to see something nerfed, I was far from sad to move away from such a silly mechanic.

I loved it, still do.
I loved pulling for groups just as much, especially in tricky places like The Plane Of Fear, back when it was one of only two planes (I think..hate and fear?) and the level cap was 60.

So yeah, you're right - its not the only great thing about this class - its just what I personally enjoyed most.
Maybe I'll be able to make my fun in new ways after so much has changed.

You can still totally fear kite however, went to a few of my old haunts and it was great - had the places all to myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatchy View Post
I have to admit I loved doing it. Me and a Necro friend would be at the burnt woods and id go pull giants down from the fort and we would kill em as they ran away from me (snared of course). Same thing in Draniks causeway. It was an easy way to get experience at a time of learning. Slow maybe, but it did the trick. Kind of like a lot of things really. You just move on and evolve. At the time it was fun and maybe gave me confidence, I dunno.

I had a necro partner as well, for years.
It was such a blast, and we did it exclusively. So many fun times and hairy moments breaking spawns, but 9/10 times we could break just about anything with FD, slows and fears.
Like you said it was pretty slow, but the game was slow back then; and I didn't care. You made great memories.
Hell I met my wife in EQ. Two kids and 13 years later I've come back; a raging noob all over again.
Feels good =).

Anyway I appreciate y'all, and I'm happy to see there's still that strange, unspoken comradery between SK's.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:04 AM   #10
kassdax
Here's your dam custom title; get off my ass.

kassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond repute

If you enjoyed the slow pace check out p99.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Main_Page