Everquest Shadowknight Forums  

Go Back   Everquest Shadowknight Forums > EverQuest > Abilities and Tactics

Abilities and Tactics A place to discuss SK abilities such as Spells, AA\'s, and Melee as well as how to best use them.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #141
zarzac
OK just this one more time

zarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond repute

I think it comes more from raid design angle Flatchy, at least that's where I'm coming from. If the raid has 1/2 things to tank, there just isn't anything to do BUT to do some DPS.

Why that then bothers me is pallys can still have a cure/heal role AND put out pretty much the same numbers we can on the DPS front.

The ONLY thing we could do "special" on a raid was slap T'Vyl's on a mob during a burn to add 13% more to incoming damage over what a bard could for a short period of time. Now that is gone.

Are there some events where being a good off tank is still valuable? Sure, and even some events where our AE aggro helps a bit. Fact remains though that either of those rolls are still, in a purely min/max way, better filled by a warrior or pally.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:07 PM   #142
Wyvern

Wyvern has a brilliant futureWyvern has a brilliant futureWyvern has a brilliant futureWyvern has a brilliant futureWyvern has a brilliant futureWyvern has a brilliant futureWyvern has a brilliant futureWyvern has a brilliant futureWyvern has a brilliant futureWyvern has a brilliant futureWyvern has a brilliant future

I agree with Flatchy, I have not focused on DPS with my SK for many years. It takes everything I have to survive. My necro box is my DPS. I have been FTP/Silver for 3+ years now, so I try to max anything that helps with tanking. That is the main reason for not even loading dots other than Bond or using 2H vs group stuff. I will break out the 2H vs weaker trash but that is about it. I use my tanking spell set even on group stuff for the most part. A caster merc + my necro and a healer merc and I am good. I only max out fully buffed to around 136K HP, so I have to make sure I do everything I can to min/max anything that helps tanking vs doing dps in most instances.

The biggest help would be changing Bite spell cast time to 1s or less and removing the spellbar lockouts for our DoTs.
Another spear on another timer I think would be best use of a spell gem even over our weak ass dots.

I would like to see spell cast breakouts like I posted from other SKs on group stuff.

Side note: This thread has derailed many pages ago so adding random stuff should be ok. Hehe.

Tanking Spell Set: (I do not have TBM)
1 - Dire Declaration (24s reuse)
2 - Touch of Lutzen (12.5s reuse)
3 - Touch of Falsin (12.5s reuse)
4 - Deceitful Deflection (AE tap, range 30', 6s reuse)
5 - Spear of Vizat (24s reuse)
6 - Terror of Nerus
7 - Bond (3s spellbar lockout, 1m+ duration)
8 - Impose for Power (2m duration)
9 - Torrent of Misery (10min+ duration)
10 - Touch of Holmein (10s reuse, 7m+ duration)
11 (Stance)
12 (Skin)

"DPS" Spell Set - I only use vs weaker mobs when I box/molo/solo.
6 - Bonemaw's Bite (1.5s cast time, 60s reuse)
8 - Deceitful Blight (3s spellbar lockout, approx. 1.5m duration)
9 - Plague of Holmein (3s spellbar lockout, approx. 1.5m duration)
10 - Dire Strangulation (3s spellbar lockout, approx. 1.5m duration)
11 - Blood of the Bonemaw (3s spellbar lockout, approx. 1m+ duration)
-- I think of the other reason I don't like this spell set is the spellbar lockouts on all the dots. So annoying.

Side note: when I used to raid pre-RoF I would often be in the top 10 on parse. RoF and later that was really never the case as DPS for other classes improved alot while SKs lagged. With the new addition of Weapon Stances, a closer look at adding some more DPS is reasonable, but I don't see much in my spell sets that I can change. I made some changes as shown above for current DPS set.

Last edited by Wyvern; 08-11-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #143
Xanathol
Administrator

Xanathol has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarzac View Post
I think it comes more from raid design angle Flatchy, at least that's where I'm coming from. If the raid has 1/2 things to tank, there just isn't anything to do BUT to do some DPS.

Why that then bothers me is pallys can still have a cure/heal role AND put out pretty much the same numbers we can on the DPS front.

The ONLY thing we could do "special" on a raid was slap T'Vyl's on a mob during a burn to add 13% more to incoming damage over what a bard could for a short period of time. Now that is gone.

Are there some events where being a good off tank is still valuable? Sure, and even some events where our AE aggro helps a bit. Fact remains though that either of those rolls are still, in a purely min/max way, better filled by a warrior or pally.
This. And honestly it has always been this way, whether people acknowledge it or not. At times, SKs have been closer to where they should be and yet were mistakenly labeled - even by our own - as overtuned (SoF, SoD, UF).

And to add to it, why did you pick an SK? A person plays a warrior to tank better than anyone else. A person picks a warrior mixed with a cleric to tank, heal, cure, and beat on undead. A necro is obviously dps so if you pick a warrior mixed with one, shouldn't you expect - and care - about your dps? If you don't care, then you really shouldn't care what tank class you are at all. Why people like Sheex on the DBG boards even bother commenting (other than trolling) is beyond reason.

I'll just throw this out there: friendships, 'skill', etc aside, which classes have value to a raid when compared to each other?

1. best tank, low to mediocre dps (if they aren't lazy/ignorant)
2. 2nd best tank that can heal, cure, mediocre to decent dps (esp vs a certain body type)
3. 3rd rate tank that procs a parry, can heal, cure, best physical range dps, provide adps, best dps of the group
4. 2nd best tank that can disc to a 1b tank for 2 min for a price, low dps to slightly mediocre dps

Its a no-brainer that one is a lot less valuable than the others. Since that one was designed with dps in mind, if it was closer to option 3, there would be a lot more value. And yes, you should care about what you are suppose to be better at than others.

Last edited by Xanathol; 08-06-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Xanathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #144
sojero
title, custom

sojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond repute

I care about my dps because I picked the class to be a tank primary, and dps secondary. They aren't gonna give us much more mitigation wise so we have to look at our secondary role. Honestly we are at the best we have been in a very long time mitigation wise.

We don't get raid utility so dps has to be what we provide when not tanking. and I as many others like to maximize what we can at all times.

If they would give us adps or some other role then I could get over the dps part.

Even our HT is shit anymore. It used to be the single biggest nut cracker in the game, now its a light tickle.

I do think were good in the group game, but the raid game is where many players are now. So those that fight for that role are not belittling the group game at all, and care about it just as much.
sojero is offline   Reply With Quote