Everquest Shadowknight Forums  

Go Back   Everquest Shadowknight Forums > EverQuest > Race Discussion

Race Discussion Post your race questions and begin race riots here.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #171
Berg
Assume I'm wrong, just explain why

Berg has a brilliant futureBerg has a brilliant futureBerg has a brilliant futureBerg has a brilliant futureBerg has a brilliant futureBerg has a brilliant futureBerg has a brilliant futureBerg has a brilliant futureBerg has a brilliant futureBerg has a brilliant futureBerg has a brilliant future

I've enjoyed playing a gnome, although I'll admit the advantages are small. As an SK though, it's pretty funny to see anyone trying to argue that it's easier for a big race to get small than a small race to get big. Skellie illusion, remember? Plus, the number of times when you -want- to be big is very small (occasional geometry problems. Say 0.01% of the time sound like a fair guess?) while the number of times when you -want- to be small is very large (any time you're using any sort of geometry while tanking OR when melee DPSing with a lot of people. 50% of the time a fair guess? Plus an extra 0.01% of the time where you're dealing with tiny tunnels or small doors, which offsets the similar disadvantage you have with big steps). The other advantage to being small is really a non advantage: due to Parallax, you seem to be moving faster when closer to the ground. Yeah, I know gnomes and ogres really run at the same speed, but playing any large race now -feels- like moving thru molasses. As for the "I'm tired of looking up" problem, again, for an SK this is pretty much a joke; once you get bobbing corpse, you're floating along at chest high most of the time, not to mention mounts. The reasons for being small aren't (except for the parallax one) based on being down on the ground, but rather on having a small box so the mobs have to move in closer, making it easier to use geometry on them. Gnomes also get tinkering. While this isn't a big deal either, due to there being very few interesting tinkered items, it is something, and no other race has something comparable. Rogues have poisons, shaman have alchemy... both are class based not race based. How is it people can post to a years old thread and not get shouted at for it?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #172
jonnypanic
parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus

jonnypanic has a reputation beyond reputejonnypanic has a reputation beyond reputejonnypanic has a reputation beyond reputejonnypanic has a reputation beyond reputejonnypanic has a reputation beyond reputejonnypanic has a reputation beyond reputejonnypanic has a reputation beyond reputejonnypanic has a reputation beyond reputejonnypanic has a reputation beyond reputejonnypanic has a reputation beyond reputejonnypanic has a reputation beyond repute

I never have issues with geometry, I'm confused by the line of reasoning. I don't even have a jump button anymore and I don't have this problem. The few issues have have are resolved with the miracle of ducking, I just spam the duck button until I'm through. It may be because I have an unusual keyboard setup. I use the keypad or mouse as necessary on my right hand for movement and my left hand for keyboard keys. Page Up and Page Down are reached with my right index finger while the middle finger controls forward and either my index or thumb controls left while the ring finger controls right. I have other keys set up to support play using this movement setup because my left handhas somewhat limited dexterity due to health issues. I'm ALWAYS levved and use the third person behind-the-toon camera at maximum zoom out, a camera I've leared to use to great effect in targetting, pulling, and babysitting my groupmates. I use Page Down to swim or move down and Page Up to level out my lev and can do it without thinking. You'll only see me without lev if I've died, I'm in a no-lev zone, or I'm in PoK/bazaar for a long time and let it expire, and, honestly, I'm yet to encounter a situation where I need to remove lev manually because I handle it just fine. This lets me get around a zone immediately without having to stop, find my shrink clicky, wait for it to cast (twice for some races), and put it back. It apparently also eliminates any geometry issues because I'm small but I'm always levved. I can't think of any other movement issues I can have that wouldn't be resolved by ducking a few times, and that lets me get through spaces no-one else but a Brownie illusion can. Edit: Much to my distaste, Berg also makes some great arguments. SKs come with an innate ability to grow themselves when small using Lich's skelly illusion and costing very little mana, without ever having to camp a clicky. Due to this, levitation, or the fact that I always use the abovementioned camera angle, I also never have an issue with "looking up", I'm always looking DOWN at everyone from my camera, from usually about a three-quarters camera angle adjusted by mouse as I see fit. Tinkering also gave me my Gnomework Survival Suit, a 30 minute gnomework illusion with a 60 minute recast that reduces incoming melee damage by a straight 1%, so powerful Ngreth almost took it away. Combined with the effect of the Fabled Ball of Golem Clay (9 minute buff every 45 minutes, reduces melee damage by 5% up to 85k damage) and marble Band of Thex House (dodge buff aura clicky), it all adds up, and, while anyone can USE the suit, guess who can MAKE them. That's right: Gnomes.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #173
Kraetos

Kraetos is a glorious beacon of lightKraetos is a glorious beacon of lightKraetos is a glorious beacon of lightKraetos is a glorious beacon of lightKraetos is a glorious beacon of lightKraetos is a glorious beacon of lightKraetos is a glorious beacon of lightKraetos is a glorious beacon of lightKraetos is a glorious beacon of lightKraetos is a glorious beacon of lightKraetos is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
How is it people can post to a years old thread and not get shouted at for it?
Its the racial forum its all the same recycled and mostly pointless posturing and e-peen measuring over and over and over.
Kraetos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #174
Deccado
Eater of Babes

Deccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond repute

For large races, liching can also be used to shrink you down to normal size. With the SoD lich no longer being able to sit on a horse, I'd assume everyone has the illusion effect blocked. As such, liching is no longer a viable form of shrinking or growing.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:42 AM   #175
Amgar

Amgar is on a distinguished roadAmgar is on a distinguished road

Poll/thread is long dead, but with the new Phinigel server I thought I would add my 2cp. Human It's not Ogre like the majority of SK's being rolled these days. Iksar isn't available yet (classic only on the server atm). Less faction problems (slightly) Night vision no longer an issue. Balance of stats for starting from scratch without twinking, not too weak like Dark Elf, not dumb as a box of rocks like Ogres. Central origin point, in classic travel can be an issue at times, Freeport humans are close to lots of places, Commonlands for selling and gathering for raids, Sol A and B aren't too far away, although Ogre/Troll get to be closer to Guk, CT and Fear.
Amgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #176
Wildwaters
Poisonwaters Commandobaby

Wildwaters has much to be proud ofWildwaters has much to be proud ofWildwaters has much to be proud ofWildwaters has much to be proud ofWildwaters has much to be proud ofWildwaters has much to be proud ofWildwaters has much to be proud ofWildwaters has much to be proud ofWildwaters has much to be proud ofWildwaters has much to be proud ofWildwaters has much to be proud of

Is it wrong if you are playing iksar to permanently illusion as a froglok and role play one? /grins A better question is how does my lizard self feel about my amphibious self? A little watered down? I'm sorry it's early and that's a bad joke but I just can't stop myself from posting it.