Everquest Shadowknight Forums  

Go Back   Everquest Shadowknight Forums > EverQuest > Class Balance Suggestions

Class Balance Suggestions Place your suggestions for Shadow Knight/EverQuest enhancements here.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
Slein Jinn
Opener of Tightly Closed Jars

Slein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud of
Default SK Class Direction

Please keep on-topic in this thread. I'm looking for a very narrow focus here. I want to see some consensus on what the class actually needs at the present moment. I'm talking about fixing genuine problems here, not "well a little something here would be nice" crap; I'm not saying everything else is perfect or that we should let other areas stagnate, but I want to focus on what needs real work, not merely a little tweak here or there. I contend that the answer is pretty straightforward. SK tanking is more or less fine. SK self-healing is more or less fine. SK group-content utility is more or less fine. SK solo capabilities are more or less fine. The biggest thing SK's need is better raid utility. This could be things like combat buffs, attributable DPS, mana support, debuffs, etc. The class brings little to the table besides raw tanking and DPS, and that needs to change. The secondary issue for SK's is shifting the focus of DPS away from layering on old DoT's by giving players reasons to cast other things instead. This could be things like a/some short recast DD that would out-compete weaker DoT's for casting opportunities, Gift of Deadly Resolve or Funeral Pyre type AA's, a spell-based swarm pet, a disc that reduces the recast of spears, etc. (Let's be clear here: I'm not talking about combo DoT's and multi-cast DoT's and crap like that; that's a different suggestion.) Please simply vote whether you broadly agree or disagree with that assessment. If you disagree, please explain why. Keep it strictly to that. Use this thread for anything beyond that scope. This is not the place to nitpick over details or to discuss how to fill those needs, to bitch about other classes, etc. Once we have consensus, then we can start to tackle such things. Thanks for your cooperation. --- TL;DR - Primary need: Raid utility. Secondary need: Non-DoT-focused DPS tools. Everything else is roughly fine. Agree/disagree?

Slightly cynical, somewhat jaded, and very bitter.

If you can't set a good example, you'll have to settle for being a horrible warning.
- Catherine the Great

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
- Mark Twain

Duke Slein Jinn
Scourge Knight on E'ci

Stand Up for the Champions!
Slein Jinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Nesalie

Nesalie has a reputation beyond reputeNesalie has a reputation beyond reputeNesalie has a reputation beyond reputeNesalie has a reputation beyond reputeNesalie has a reputation beyond reputeNesalie has a reputation beyond reputeNesalie has a reputation beyond reputeNesalie has a reputation beyond reputeNesalie has a reputation beyond reputeNesalie has a reputation beyond reputeNesalie has a reputation beyond repute

Take this as you will from someone who does not currently raid (nor plans to.) But from someone who raided from Velious to Gates, Necromancers functioning as mana batteries wasn't fun for the Necros involved. I really look forward to seeing actual discussion in this thread though, I might not raid but I'd really like to see more than swarming threads every now and then.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Golgi
the sky has fallen 12,000 times and counting

Golgi has much to be proud ofGolgi has much to be proud ofGolgi has much to be proud ofGolgi has much to be proud ofGolgi has much to be proud ofGolgi has much to be proud ofGolgi has much to be proud ofGolgi has much to be proud ofGolgi has much to be proud ofGolgi has much to be proud ofGolgi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesalie View Post
Take this as you will from someone who does not currently raid (nor plans to.) But from someone who raided from Velious to Gates, Necromancers functioning as mana batteries wasn't fun for the Necros involved. I really look forward to seeing actual discussion in this thread though, I might not raid but I'd really like to see more than swarming threads every now and then.
That's because they had to keep one person targeted and it required constant maintenance. One or two group recourse abilities every 10 or 20 minutes will not require such a concerted effort. This is basically how Enchanters and Necromancers carry out this role now (as far as their group's mana).
There is 1 player in Nagafen's Lair
Golgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Kelefane
[RETIRED]

Kelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond repute

Group game = SKs are gods. No class is better IMO Soloing = SKs are Jesus too, but other classes are right there with us Raids = Lacking big time. This is where we need help at and a real boost. We need something a lot more desirable to bring to a raid other than "knowing the class well" and "being in the guild your in for half a decade cuz loyal" There are many great ideas already tossed around to give us a better raid desirability. So I wont rehash old stuff.
Kelefane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
zarzac
OK just this one more time

zarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. We really need a solid raid role that we can get the devs to buy into.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Eggborn
I need to set a custom tit

Eggborn has much to be proud ofEggborn has much to be proud ofEggborn has much to be proud ofEggborn has much to be proud ofEggborn has much to be proud ofEggborn has much to be proud ofEggborn has much to be proud ofEggborn has much to be proud ofEggborn has much to be proud ofEggborn has much to be proud ofEggborn has much to be proud of

Just please don't make me buff anyone.
Eggborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
kargren
Inquisitor

kargren is just really nicekargren is just really nicekargren is just really nicekargren is just really nicekargren is just really nicekargren is just really nicekargren is just really nicekargren is just really nicekargren is just really nicekargren is just really nicekargren is just really nice

I know this will not be popular but I do not particularly like the idea of us getting a "NEW" utility. I think this will end up taking away from what we have currently and overlapping with other classes abilities and thus drawing more negative nit picking attention to our class from what ever class we end up overlapping with. I would prefer for us to get a recast reduction in our snares, lifetaps, and hate spells. And maybe have our lifetaps be more efficient and more damaging.
kargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Slein Jinn
Opener of Tightly Closed Jars

Slein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud ofSlein Jinn has much to be proud of

We've reached my original target of 50 total votes with a minimum of 80% agreement (84% after 50 votes), so I'm moving on with the next phase. See the announcement for more information.

Slightly cynical, somewhat jaded, and very bitter.

If you can't set a good example, you'll have to settle for being a horrible warning.
- Catherine the Great

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
- Mark Twain

Duke Slein Jinn
Scourge Knight on E'ci

Stand Up for the Champions!
Slein Jinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #9
Twinkeltoes
AC > Sex

Twinkeltoes has much to be proud ofTwinkeltoes has much to be proud ofTwinkeltoes has much to be proud ofTwinkeltoes has much to be proud ofTwinkeltoes has much to be proud ofTwinkeltoes has much to be proud ofTwinkeltoes has much to be proud ofTwinkeltoes has much to be proud ofTwinkeltoes has much to be proud ofTwinkeltoes has much to be proud ofTwinkeltoes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelefane View Post
Flatch, i respect you as both a person and a player and you know that I do. But man, if you raided, you'd know firsthand that SKs get the short end of the stick.
I raid, I don't feel like I have the short hand of anything. I think I tank compareable to other classes. I might not be the best but I'm suitable when needed. I can dps and make top 10 on events I don't need to tank if they are not fast burn mobs (a lot of this I admit is other classes not performing at the top of their game but still there is something to be said about our dps being higher than other tank classes) I've been used in various roles in raids weither it's the dreaded kite, running in with harmshield, tanking, off tanking, bringing mobs to CC classes, protecting CC classes. I've seen the arguements about well this class does this better and that class does that better. Well that's what classes are suppose to do to make them unique. Our thing is we can do a bit of everything which is why I roled a SK in the first place. My guild just started Tier 4 and we're close to beating CoB so I like to consider myself not a top tier raider but still a high end raider. And I've never thought to myself being a SK sucks (other then when kiting) I know a handful of you top end guys might have to deal with too many people at raids to have to pick who gets to raid, but for most guilds that isn't an issue. It's ironic that with all the republican bashing of the 1% on other forum's, it flips to the 1% high end raider's concerns when it comes to game play. Honestly I don't think we're that bad as a class overall. Sure I'd like new bells and whistles, we all do. But I just don't see us handicapped from my perspective. Again my perspective is from the smaller guild not having to sit out players unless we're doing a joint op with another guild perspective.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools"
Twinkeltoes is offline   Reply With Quote