Everquest Shadowknight Forums  

Go Back   Everquest Shadowknight Forums > EverQuest > Class Balance Suggestions

Class Balance Suggestions Place your suggestions for Shadow Knight/EverQuest enhancements here.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #21
Brael
Suffering from Brael inadequacies

Brael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brael Send a message via AIM to Brael

No idea who the other yes was. I have confidence he'll make spells. I have confidence that some will be good, some will be ok, and some will suck, it's the same confidence I have in any member of their team.

Braelxx Uselesshybrid

Maelin
Triality
Retired
Brael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #22
Kelefane
[RETIRED]

Kelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond repute

Well the voting is anonymous as someone else said. And also, when people are saying to vote a single way you usually see votes go the other way out of spite and/or to be different. This poll here tells a tale that we already knew. Nobody can even see your votes besides probably Brael. 70+ No votes to 2 Yes votes. Its kind of hard to see a poll that lop-sided be dictated. Its a landslide right now, no contest. Other words -- Most of us already knew what the out-come would be on the votes before the poll was even put up. This is just proof is all.
Kelefane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #23
Brael
Suffering from Brael inadequacies

Brael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brael Send a message via AIM to Brael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelefane View Post
Nobody can even see your votes besides probably Brael.
I don't really care what people vote so even if I could see it I wouldn't. When the vote is anonymous however not even I can see it, it's not data that gets stored. In order for me to see it the vote would have to be made public, in which case everyone sees it.

Braelxx Uselesshybrid

Maelin
Triality
Retired
Brael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #24
Mikazu
Slay Plant

Mikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud of

Prathun is a smart guy. You don't get to his level without having smarts. I've heard from people I respect, such as Brael, that he is also a very hard worker. I'm sure he's a decent guy as well, and I'm equally sure he doesn't have horns growing out of his head, nor does he sit alone at night furiously masturbating and giggling at causing such pain to the EQ player base. However, I voted no, because the simple fact is spells are ridiculously weak and uninspired right now, which is a shame. There is SO MUCH good about Everquest these days, but two of the biggest areas of the game (spells and items) are the two weakest areas. In my opinion, this is because EQ is running with a skeleton crew that just can't handle what's required of them. I wonder if anybody could. In the end, I place the blame squarely on the shoulders of Sony Online Entertainment management for basically fucking over the playerbase by not allocating the proper resources to grow this game properly. Prathun is, again in my opinion, AWFUL as spell designer right now. Too many spells are useless and there is very much an 'excel spreadsheet upgrade' feel to them. In addition, it's the proverbial rolling snowball, because there is only *one* spell developer. I'm in a similar position at my job (except I'm awesome at my job ); if something even vaguely IT related needs to get done, I'm the only one to do it. Computer hardware, phones, security cameras, photocopiers, computer assistance, program creation, IT SOPs, ... basically a whole big laundry list of things I have to do. Thankfully I keep on top of most of them, but I just went back and made a list of issues I only bandaged but didn't truly 'fix'. So now I've worked down to about 15 things (from 40 or so when I made the list), varying between 2 hours and 2 weeks to research and get done. None are groundbreaking or particularly urgent ... but it always seems at least one MUSTGETDONENOW thing happens a day, so I always find it easy to push back these 'meh' tasks when something big comes up, or when I just need to take a break from a particularly hectic day. I get the impression Prathun is in the same boat. There's always something new and urgent he has to work on, but he has so much still do that it becomes this crazy balancing act between was-urgent-three-weeks-ago, urgent, not-so-urgent, and i-forgot-this-was-urgent. In the end, the solution to this is for SoE to hire some more resources. But if you honestly believe that a corporation will see the value in 100-150k in extra salary per year for two people that might or might not have an impact on the bottom line, then I have a valuble pet rock to sell you.
Mikazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #25
asinann
Banned

asinann has much to be proud ofasinann has much to be proud ofasinann has much to be proud ofasinann has much to be proud ofasinann has much to be proud ofasinann has much to be proud ofasinann has much to be proud ofasinann has much to be proud ofasinann has much to be proud ofasinann has much to be proud ofasinann has much to be proud of

EQ still brings in more money than their other online games, not by a small margin but it doubles all the rest combined. They divert the profits from EQ to the other games to attempt to get those games producing cash like EQ does. The whole thing has been a failure and they need to put some of the EQ money back into EQ. Maybe take the LoN devs (I know it's a separate team, but that team could be working on issues and not new cards) or the Seattle team and put them to work on some of the issues.
asinann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #26
elmore

elmore has a reputation beyond reputeelmore has a reputation beyond reputeelmore has a reputation beyond reputeelmore has a reputation beyond reputeelmore has a reputation beyond reputeelmore has a reputation beyond reputeelmore has a reputation beyond reputeelmore has a reputation beyond reputeelmore has a reputation beyond reputeelmore has a reputation beyond reputeelmore has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaringMcMarrin View Post
Yes it does matter becuase you look at a poll with 2 answers and everyone in the thread for the poll is screaming that anyone who doesn't pick no is wrong that taints the results.
I'm so influenced by what other people say on the internets. Some one please influence me to do something else.........
elmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #27
Mikazu
Slay Plant

Mikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud ofMikazu has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmore View Post
I'm so influenced by what other people say on the internets. Some one please influence me to do something else.........
Give me all your l00ts in game. All your l00ts are belong to me.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #28
Kelefane
[RETIRED]

Kelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond repute

One of Prathuns main problems is that he seems to refuse to listen to the player base and he lets off this "I dont even play the game that I help develop" aura about him in how he does shit and goes about his business. Plus hes always giving off smart ass remarks for no apparent reason. He just seems very unprofessional. He also doesnt seem to understand our class or other classes for that matter and why players play the class that they do. This may stem to why some think he doesnt even play the game. This current group of Devs have some asshats among them imo No amount of resources will help someone like this.
Kelefane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #29
nbakwe

nbakwe has a brilliant futurenbakwe has a brilliant futurenbakwe has a brilliant futurenbakwe has a brilliant futurenbakwe has a brilliant futurenbakwe has a brilliant futurenbakwe has a brilliant futurenbakwe has a brilliant futurenbakwe has a brilliant futurenbakwe has a brilliant futurenbakwe has a brilliant future

Having someone making decisions about the game without playing actively (if that is in fact the case) makes shit for sense, and would explain a lot. Reminds me of Earl Butts, Sec. of Argiculture - think is was in the Regan days - he got himself in hot water for a joke about the Pope. Story goes there was a discussion about the Pope's hard line stance on contraception, Earl's response was "You no play'a da game, you no make'a da rules". Sounds like a reasonable position to me...
Old 05-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #30
Mikazu
Slay Plant

Oh, you won't hear an argument from me that Prathun OBVIOUSLY doesn't have a high level view of the game. You're exactly right - people play different classes for different reasons (and different people play the same class as another for different reasons), and spell design should, in theory, play to those reasons to make the game more fun (that is why we play games, right?). Shadowknights should have almost exclusively fast casting spells. Put a 0.5 second cast time for most 'combat' spells and I bet most people would cum on the spot. I hate casting ... and waiting and hoping I won't be interrupted in the middle of combat. SKs are an offensive tank class that relies on procs / self healing, so spells should play to that. A spell developer should understand HOW each class is unique and why people play. You won't find someone who enjoys healing others playing an shadowknight. You won't find someone who expects to do pure melee or pure casting damage. One of the reason people play a shadowknight is because they enjoy being a tank that can do both melee and spell damage while being relatively self sufficient. I'm sure if you polled, each class could give a nice solid list of WHY they play and enjoy the class they play. Right now, the spell dev (and item dev) don't seem to have a grasp on this. Going exclusively by their output, they don't understand what makes people tick or what makes each class fun. However ... it feels as if they are also ridiculously overworked. When you're already behind (which they obviously are), it's hard to justify taking taking (and falling more behind) for something as 'useless' as understanding. If you had extra resources, then maybe they could step back and truly understand, because as it stands now Prathun seems to have blinders on. Now maybe he's continue to be incompetent even with additional help, but again ... the dude is probably a pretty smart guy. That being said - yeah, he really does come across as a fucking asshole way too often.