Everquest Shadowknight Forums  

Go Back   Everquest Shadowknight Forums > EverQuest > Tech Support/UI's

Tech Support/UI's Computer and EverQuest tech support. Also, you can view peoples UI\'s here as a bonus.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
flatchy
I got my AA the old fashioned way I earned em

flatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond repute
Default welp?

Does anyone here have a suggestion for one of the cheapest computers that will run EQ. I had vista on my second machine so down to playing just one toon and its pretty boring. It would be used for just EQ doesn't have to be bottom barrel cheap but im not looking for top o the line. any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Flatchy

12 level 105 toons, who do I want to be today???
flatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
BastardLunatic
Is a bald rat cunt

BastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatchy View Post
Does anyone here have a suggestion for one of the cheapest computers that will run EQ. I had vista on my second machine so down to playing just one toon and its pretty boring. It would be used for just EQ doesn't have to be bottom barrel cheap but im not looking for top o the line. any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Flatchy

what's wrong with your vista machine?
Victory over Frodlin, Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:15 pm.

Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst.
When Nero used Christians as human torches, that was the only time they brought any light into the world.
Mankind will never be free to progress and advance to its destined position as the pre-eminent intelligent species in the galaxy until the last stone from the last church is cast down onto the last priest.
BastardLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
BastardLunatic
Is a bald rat cunt

BastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond repute

It's currently sold out, but this and a cheap video card would make a very cheap and capable EQ box

https://slickdeals.net/f/10164756-re...src=SiteSearch

It's an older i5, but very capable

Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst.
When Nero used Christians as human torches, that was the only time they brought any light into the world.
Mankind will never be free to progress and advance to its destined position as the pre-eminent intelligent species in the galaxy until the last stone from the last church is cast down onto the last priest.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #4
flatchy

flatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardLunatic View Post
nothing is really wrong with it other than EQ does not work with it any more. So gotta look elsewhere I guess. Will look into your link and see about that one.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
Umbraeques
Quando omni flunkus maratati

Umbraeques has a reputation beyond reputeUmbraeques has a reputation beyond reputeUmbraeques has a reputation beyond reputeUmbraeques has a reputation beyond reputeUmbraeques has a reputation beyond reputeUmbraeques has a reputation beyond reputeUmbraeques has a reputation beyond reputeUmbraeques has a reputation beyond reputeUmbraeques has a reputation beyond reputeUmbraeques has a reputation beyond reputeUmbraeques has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Umbraeques Send a message via Yahoo to Umbraeques

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardLunatic View Post
Well: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...end-of-support for a start.

Honestly, just about any modern machine that costs you around $300 or more will play EQ just fine (unless you turn shadows on!) If you're looking to multi-box on one machine go a bit higher, but you won't need to spend over (or really anywhere near) $1000 to do that.

Something like an i5 or R5 with a mid range gfx card, and 8GB+ ram should do you. Personally I like Asus machines, always had good experiences with them; Dells aren't bad either (though Alienware's a bit overpriced I feel).

But to be fair, all the chips are made in the same factory in China, all the HDD's are made in the same factory in Thailand, all the motherboards are made in Taiwan- the insides are pretty much all the same (more or less). When you get it strip out any software the manufacturer pre-installed (of which there's usually a ton) as that's where the biggest performance difference usually is between vendors.

We have plenty of youth. What we need is a fountain of smart.
Umbraeques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
Kelefane
[RETIRED]

Kelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond repute

Just about any pc or laptop in that $300-$400 range that you see at Wal Mart or Best Buy will play EQ just fine. In other words, you wont be spending over $500.

I really question people (not you Flatch) when they buy a $2500 fucking computer just to play EverQuest on. If you're going to buy a computer that high end, you better be playing current fucking games on it and not some dinosaur.

Last edited by Kelefane; 05-22-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Kelefane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:16 AM   #7
Xanathol
Administrator

Xanathol has disabled reputation

I bought a refurb for an extra on-hand box for less than $100 (Core 2 Duo 2.93GHz, 4GB) and threw in a cheap ass GeForce GT 710. Can box a couple of instances on it easily.

As for your Vista box, EQ runs just fine on it - the dumbasses just broke the patcher (probably updated their target SDK which did it unknowingly). I posted the fix for them but they don't give two shits and would rather play the 'supported' card; it is like they took classes on bad customer management skills.

Anyway, since it is just the patcher, you can patch on one box (assuming you have one) and then just copy over the changes. PITA but doable.
Xanathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:01 AM   #8
flatchy

Xan, I run two computers so could prolly do what you said if I knew exactly what im looking for. So What folder exactly am I copying and pasting to my Vista run machine? Sorry Im not really one to dig in and do things like that. If I could keep that other machine running for it that would be great.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #9
Xanathol
Administrator

Xanathol has disabled reputation

It would be your Everquest folder. Basically, share out your Everquest folder on one machine (say your main, so you only have to give read acces: right click on the EQ folder, properties, sharing, share / advanced sharing). Now go to your vista machine, click start, run, and enter \\(main machine name or IP here)\(share name), ex. \\FlatchyMain\Everquest. Assuming no permissions or master browser issues, if should open up.

The real pita part is what to copy. I don't recall Vista's copy options. Basically, you want to copy over everything new or updated. On Windows 10, for example, it is easy, as you can select everything and it will separate conflicts with exist files by those that are identical and those that are newer, etc. I don't recall when that went in / on what OS, but worse case scenario, you let the entire thing copy over night including unchanged files. Point is, you should then be up to date on the latest EQ patch and can launch from the Run window (ex. C:\EverQuest\eqgame.exe patchme /login:YourLoginID).
Xanathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
BastardLunatic
Is a bald rat cunt

For most of my machines, they share a common EQ folder on the network and run off of that. It was too much maintaining live, emu and p99 on every machine.