Everquest Shadowknight Forums  

Go Back   Everquest Shadowknight Forums > EverQuest > Abilities and Tactics

Abilities and Tactics A place to discuss SK abilities such as Spells, AA\'s, and Melee as well as how to best use them.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Wyrdlan
Always right

Wyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud of
Default Combat, explained

With all due respect to Zyric, I couldn't let the midget pirate explanation of combat get lost to time. Damage Intervals and Attack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyric
DB + DI x Random(1 thru 20) Where DB is base damage. and DI is damage interval. Except, the Random(1 thru 20) part isn't exactly random. Its a weighed scale that is based on Mob Atk, Player AC, etc. In layman's terms: Lets say everytime a mob tries to hit you the following example happens (after dodge/parry/riposte/block checks): The Mob spawns 19 midget pirates. These midget pirates gain power based on the mob's attack. Now in the mean time: You the tank, summon 1 big ogre thing. Your ogre gains strength, health, and manliness based on your AC. The 19 midget pirates fight your ogre to the death. At the end of the fight the number "Random(1 thru 20)" is based on how many midget pirates survive +1 (All shorties dead = DI 1). And this number gets plugged into the formula and the result is how much damage you take from the mob. So as you can see, the stronger your ogre is in terms of the midget pirate swarm, the less damage you'll take, since he'll probably kill them all before they kill him. But in the event that the midget pirates get lucky during their fight and kill the ogre, you'll take a spike round of damage. With that said, Beldavir summons one of the biggest ugliest ogres known to man (5000+ AC). We're talking the Chuck fucking-Norris of ogres. So for him to be taking constant DI20's (all 19 midget pirates survive the fight AKA max damage). Those must be some fucking crazy midget pirates. What this says is that SoF raid mobs ATK is so beefy that the 19 American Gladiator midget pirates they summon are so intense they kill your ogre without a problem every single round. Which is where the problem lies. The issue is that you can't get enough AC to summon a strong enough ogre to kill a good number of those midget pirates before they kill him.
Damage Bonus and Shielding The midget pirates explains the DI portion of the damage. Each mob has a damage bonus. Think of it as a cannon the midget pirates operate. It's loaded with a cannon ball aimed right at you. If it hits you, it does a certain amount of damage. Shielding makes the cannon ball smaller while Avoidance makes it more likely the entire raiding party of midget pirates and cannon sinks before it gets to your ogre. The total damage you take is the damage done by each of the midget pirates, plus their cannon. Skills and mod2s Dodge, Parry, Block -- When you attack another ship, but your raiding party is sunk before it gets there. Riposte -- When you attack another ship, your raiding party is sunk, and they instead attack your ogre with their midget pirates. Strikethrough -- Allows your raiding party to survive being sunk and attack anyway. Notice, however, if the defender has riposte their raiding party still attacks your ogre. Accuracy -- Launches your midget pirates in strong raider boats. For warriors On their innate benefits:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brael View Post
No, it's the DI portion of the damage*.95. Think of it as an innate chopping one hand off one of the midget pirates.
With defensive, it's as if you still have the same number of pirates, but each one that lives only hits you half as hard. Further reading

The Pickle is always right. Love The Pickle.
[19:06] {Merloc} I made an arbitrary decision, and that was it.
Wyrdlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #2
Bask Nrobbins

Bask Nrobbins has a spectacular aura aboutBask Nrobbins has a spectacular aura aboutBask Nrobbins has a spectacular aura aboutBask Nrobbins has a spectacular aura aboutBask Nrobbins has a spectacular aura aboutBask Nrobbins has a spectacular aura about

I missed that discussion originally, awesome sticky. Freaking midget pirates.
Bask Nrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Thunderbumm
This is so fucking stupid

Thunderbumm has much to be proud ofThunderbumm has much to be proud ofThunderbumm has much to be proud ofThunderbumm has much to be proud ofThunderbumm has much to be proud ofThunderbumm has much to be proud ofThunderbumm has much to be proud ofThunderbumm has much to be proud ofThunderbumm has much to be proud ofThunderbumm has much to be proud ofThunderbumm has much to be proud of

It is an awesome illustration, but the part you added about Avoidance doesn't follow the reality of the situation quite so truthfully. Each time the Midget Pirates attack it is a skirmish (in EQ, a "swing" which "hit" you). Avoidance makes all of the midgets attacking you in a given skirmish miss their attacks on your Ogre. It is all or none, it doesn't make one single midget's cannonball miss while others hit. Avoidance allows your Ogre to avoid ALL of the cannon balls in the skirmish.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Wyrdlan
Always right

Wyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud ofWyrdlan has much to be proud of

I phrased that poorly, I'll fix it. I actually was intending to seperate cannon damage (DB) from midget damage (DI). Avoidance, of course, makes the whole thing miss.

The Pickle is always right. Love The Pickle.
[19:06] {Merloc} I made an arbitrary decision, and that was it.
Wyrdlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Denial Sinfae

Denial Sinfae is an unknown quantity at this point

Question not addressed in post about combat but I have been wondering about... Does any spell with a cast time greater than 0.0 interrupt melee? Like are there "combat nukes" that do not stop it. If not, at what cast time does it start to interfere with your combat rounds? I don't really notice a change in combat for the spear line, but I do in the lifetap line. Am I just not noticing the subtle change in numbers for spear? If there is a point where it interrupts combat rounds, would it be the same for all classes? Or, like hybrids have their spell haste, could they have some personal value for this particular aspect too?
Denial Sinfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Deccado
Eater of Babes

Deccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial Sinfae View Post
Question not addressed in post about combat but I have been wondering about... Does any spell with a cast time greater than 0.0 interrupt melee? Like are there "combat nukes" that do not stop it. If not, at what cast time does it start to interfere with your combat rounds? I don't really notice a change in combat for the spear line, but I do in the lifetap line. Am I just not noticing the subtle change in numbers for spear? If there is a point where it interrupts combat rounds, would it be the same for all classes? Or, like hybrids have their spell haste, could they have some personal value for this particular aspect too?
Search for "spell threading" to answer that.