Everquest Shadowknight Forums  

Go Back   Everquest Shadowknight Forums > EverQuest > The Arena

The Arena General forum/Wretched Hive of Scum and Villany

Old 02-13-2019, 12:03 AM   #1
Xanathol
Administrator

Xanathol has disabled reputation
Default The 20th anniversary TLPs

If you haven't seen the notice, there are two new TLPs going up and with the rumors that a 'super casual' server was coming, my interest was piqued. Alas, DBG has a fool in charge. The two new TLPs are as follows:

1. Selos, dubbed the 'casual' server. Starts at Luclin with accelerated XP, rares, faction, etc... oh, and accelerated unlock rate of 1 month. In other words, a no-lifer content racer's dream - not a casual server (because those in charge obviously have no clue who that is).

2. Mangler or some shit, dubbed the 'hard core' server. Starts at classic with a 3? month release cycle, slowest XP gain of the servers and most punishing XP penalty server. Obviously they made this server for... I have no idea who they made it for. No one is going to play on it.

It is remarkable that a game as iconic as EQ that's on year 20 is ran by people that make decisions like this...
Xanathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
flatchy
I got my AA the old fashioned way I earned em

flatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond repute

I am not really wanting to try either. The new expansion is still shit to me as well. Damn give me another crestas earring to work on!

12 level 110
toons, who do I want to be today???
flatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
BastardLunatic
Is a bald rat cunt

BastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like these guys get their water from Flint.

And it looks like p99 just enabled the greenmist quest, so i know where I'll spend my 20th anniversary time
Victory over Frodlin, Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:15 pm.

Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst.
When Nero used Christians as human torches, that was the only time they brought any light into the world.
Mankind will never be free to progress and advance to its destined position as the pre-eminent intelligent species in the galaxy until the last stone from the last church is cast down onto the last priest.

Last edited by BastardLunatic; 02-14-2019 at 11:26 AM.
BastardLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
Xanathol
Administrator

They actually responded to feedback... holy hell!

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-se...niversary-2019
Old 02-26-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
BastardLunatic
Is a bald rat cunt

BastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond repute

looks like they got it half right
Victory over Frodlin, Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:15 pm.

Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst.
When Nero used Christians as human torches, that was the only time they brought any light into the world.
Mankind will never be free to progress and advance to its destined position as the pre-eminent intelligent species in the galaxy until the last stone from the last church is cast down onto the last priest.
BastardLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:55 PM   #6
Xanathol
Administrator

Daybreak has managed to set yet another milestone - in hitting 20 years, they managed to have their aboslute worst launch to date (save the initial release in 99). 8 hours after launch time and most people still cannot log into Mangler.

You'd think that after 20 years they would have made code changes and adjustments to handle high incoming loads but nope - their answer was the same as their last answer: just throttle down allowed incoming logins and world server joins. That's right, instead of improving software, allocating more resources, scaling, etc, they purposely limited the number of people that could get in and it was evidently a remarkably low number (Selos - the lower pop server - had 120 ppl in general chat when no one else could log in). Why do work when you can charge people and just not let them play?

But that's not the best part. Oh no - while 95% of their paying customers could not log into these servers, certain streamers were given preferrential access and could. Obviously these would be people familiar with EQ and would champion the game, right? With lots of followers? Not really... a cool 1k followers were enough to get an almost complete noob special access. Simply amazing. Oh, and they read aloud the email from DBG granting them such access, so no, it is not just speculation.

The bottomline is Holly has to go. She's the one in charge and thus it is on her to have this planned out and addressed - a real plan, so that customers may actually enjoy their product. Instead of making headlines for 20 years as an accomplishment, this launch should make headlines of EQ lasting 20 years despite the atrocious leadership. The success of this game is exponentially more impressive when one considers the diasterous leadership it has suffered.

An aside - in a recent interview re: EQ hitting 20 years, Holly stated that the reason EQ has had such success is that it has not changed... then later acknowledges a vast increase in subscriptions when TLP servers were announced starting at Classic... newsflash Holly - EQ has changed and the numbers show people prefer the old game, not what you've done ot it.