Everquest Shadowknight Forums  

Go Back   Everquest Shadowknight Forums > EverQuest > The Arena

The Arena General forum/Wretched Hive of Scum and Villany

Old 05-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
Brael
Suffering from Brael inadequacies

Brael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brael Send a message via AIM to Brael
Default Read This: Stepping down. We need some new forums.

So here's the deal, for those of you who remember him a guy named SoulVoid owns the domain and hosting account for EGN. When him and I put the forums up after migrating from SKO he had the domain name so we just went with what he already had (it also helped that I was under a non compete at the time and he wasn't). Over the years he has been kind enough to host our forums but I have little communication with him these days. I haven't seen him on IM (our only form of communication) for 7 months now and the last time we actually spoke was about a year and a half ago. At that time I tried to get the domain and hosting account from him but he said he wanted to continue doing it as long as people were using the forums. When the forums went down last week my first thought was that he ceased paying for it. I tried speaking to Yahoo to give them money to keep the site up but they wouldn't do it without me knowing the hosting info, but did confirm that's what happened. To be perfectly honest I didn't think the site would come back up, and I don't know when it will go back down. So, that's not a good situation for the forums or the community which means we need new boards and a new domain. I would do the hosting but in the week of downtime I thought about things a bit and came to the conclusion that the forums should be in the hands of those still playing because I can't guarantee I'll be willing to keep them up in the future, and since I went back to school and am paying tuition out of pocket I don't really have the $350 (250 VB, 100 hosting) or so to buy everything required anyways. So here's what I'm hoping for. Someone here will pick up some hosting, a domain, and a VB license. I will back up the forums and give that copy so information isn't lost as well as switch this site over to a redirect to the new forums for however long it stays up. I can probably help you with the VB install or any questions too if you don't know how.

Braelxx Uselesshybrid

Maelin
Triality
Retired
Brael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
BastardLunatic
Is a bald rat cunt

BastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond repute

Damn. I thought it might have been something like that. Is that a $350 annual cost?
Victory over Frodlin, Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:15 pm.

Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst.
When Nero used Christians as human torches, that was the only time they brought any light into the world.
Mankind will never be free to progress and advance to its destined position as the pre-eminent intelligent species in the galaxy until the last stone from the last church is cast down onto the last priest.
BastardLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
Kelefane
[RETIRED]

Kelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond repute

I seen this coming a mile away. All good things must come to an end. Hopefully someone active that is still playing can pick the pieces up and continue an SK forum. But its hard to get excited about doing something like this I'd imagine with the current state and direction of EQ. Best bet is maybe someone like Khat or Tearsin doing it.
Kelefane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
zarzac
OK just this one more time

zarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond reputezarzac has a reputation beyond repute

Sad to hear, but it may just be that time. With Holly saying she was "excited" about the THREE new zones coming with the next "campaign" it's hard to see a long future. I think that may be a difficult sell for anyone to pick up that expense for the 10-15 people that still post on a regular basis. But you never know, someone here could be a big fan and have $350 in a spare change jar. Another option may be moving to a free forum with some lower cost hosting as the usage I'm sure isn't hitting any limits. Although with a cheaper host the boob thread may get hit up under posting regulations for the new host.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
sojero
title, custom

sojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond repute

New house, student loans, took pay cut moving to Texas, I would, but cant I also agree with Zar it may not be long in the living if the new campaigns are shit, I know I'm already on the fence, half the time I am enjoying netflix more than the game play, and that is sad.
sojero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Kelefane
[RETIRED]

Kelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojero View Post
half the time I am enjoying netflix more than the game play, and that is sad.
I was SAME way toward the end. I found myself being more excited to watch Netflix and read books than playing EQ....... As I said above, its hard to get excited about doing something like keeping a message board afloat I'd imagine with the current state and direction of EQ.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #7
Kelefane
[RETIRED]

Either way, its sad to me. I've visited the old SKO and now EGN for well over a decade. Its become a habit to click this website on my favorites and have a quick browse. Even well after I retired, I still come here and visit. It'll be sad to see it go. Lots of memories here.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #8
Brael

Brael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond reputeBrael has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelefane View Post
Either way, its sad to me. I've visited the old SKO and now EGN for well over a decade. Its become a habit to click this website on my favorites and have a quick browse. Even well after I retired, I still come here and visit. It'll be sad to see it go. Lots of memories here.
I thought about that while the site was down. I was posting on the SK forums on Stratics back in P3 beta. That was 1998... 17 years ago, literally over half my life. That is a long time to be posting in a single community.

Braelxx Uselesshybrid

Maelin
Triality
Retired
Old 05-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #9
Brael

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardLunatic View Post
Damn. I thought it might have been something like that. Is that a $350 annual cost?
No, a VB license is good for a year but only needs to be active when it's updated (that's why this site has such an old version of VB running... haven't upgraded in a long time). Annual cost is roughly $100/year for hosting. There are free alternatives like some of the free forums, or phpBB which is free. The problem comes in migrating data. If no one wants to pay, I think that's the best route but I was throwing the other option out first.

Braelxx Uselesshybrid

Maelin
Triality
Retired
Old 05-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #10
Kelefane
[RETIRED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brael View Post
I thought about that while the site was down. I was posting on the SK forums on Stratics back in P3 beta. That was 1998... 17 years ago, literally over half my life. That is a long time to be posting in a single community.
Yeah, I guess some forums become a habit for people. Even well after that forum gets minimal traffic and ran its course of overall importance and relevance.