Everquest Shadowknight Forums  

Go Back   Everquest Shadowknight Forums > EverQuest > The Arena

The Arena General forum/Wretched Hive of Scum and Villany

Old 10-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Kelefane
[RETIRED]

Kelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond repute
Default Its Official: Kelefane has left the building

I am retired. It was a good run, but the game isn't for me anymore. The game itself, its direction and what they are doing to it, finally outweighed the old saying of "Logging in for your guild and friends" - I mean, when you get a sense of dread when its time to log in, then you know something is wrong with the game that you're playing and that tends to make someone reevaluate things. Don't get me wrong, there are folks who still enjoy the game, but then again, there are also folks that are in my shoes when it comes time to log in. It becomes a huge sense of dread and obligation and those folks only log in for their friends and guild, when the game itself no longer appeals to them. There comes a tipping point for these folks after a while where logging in for their guild and friends just isn't enough anymore. Especially after they realize they have been in that same mindset for years now. It wears on you. Its not healthy or fun logging into a game that you just don't simply enjoy anymore. It was just my time to retire. Trying to manufacture fun in a game isn't exactly fun either. Back in 2011, I went MIA and took a break for 4 months. Before I went MIA then, I knew that I'd be back at some point. This time though? I am not feeling it. I knew that it was my time to hang it up. In the months leading up to this, I started raiding less and less. My RA was going down the drain. I played less and less outside of raids. I was less and less motivated as the days/weeks/months passed. When I did play, I was just going through the motions and being very uninspired and apathetic. That isn't fair to the guild, my friends or myself. If I cannot be my best and put my full heart into it, then its time to move on. That is what I am doing. Toward the end, I was using EverQuest as more of a chat room than a game to play. Take my advice. If you're not having fun, hang it up. If you dread logging in and logging in feels more like an obligation than a fun thing to do, then hang it up. Don't log in just because EverQuest is a habit and a routine for you each day. That is playing for all the wrong reasons. Your status in EverQuest isn't a good enough reason to continue logging in if you're not enjoying the game. If you're not having fun with the game itself any longer, then walk away. If you're afraid of leaving behind friends and your guild, then don't. You can keep in touch with them and chat with them on Facebook or Instant Messengers. You're not leaving behind anyone, all you're leaving behind is a game that you're no longer enjoying, and that is a good thing. I know there are quite a few folks still playing who feel like I did toward the end. The above advice is for you. Stop lingering around and going through the motions and walk away. If you retired today, you wont be missing anything in Norrath but the same shit over and over again ad nauseam. I look at EverQuest expansions of today as the same reoccurring pig. Except the pig is just painted a different color each expansion with slight variations. In other words, same shit, new expansion (or new expansion, same shit) - Well, I got fed up with the shit finally. I see no positive changes coming any time soon for EverQuest, and I think that the game will just slowly get worse and worse. It certainly will not get any better than it is now and I think that the worst has yet to come, because when EQNext launches, that will take quite a few more away from EverQuest for good, especially those fence sitters who cannot decide between continuing to play or retiring. That is when EQNext will make their decision easy. A lot of people have their eye on EQNext. There are people playing right now that are looking for reasons to retire. They want out, but its not an easy decision to make because the game has been such a huge part of their life and a daily routine for the better part of a decade or more. Instead of a game to these people, EverQuest is a habit and a routine. It stopped being a "game" for these folks awhile ago. The game itself is no longer fun, yet they continue to log in out of habit and because its a routine and lastly, they log in due to a sense of obligation to their guild and friends. Trust me, there are more people than you realize that feel these ways that are playing right now. I talked to quite a few of them in the days leading up to my retirement. I didn't take retirement lightly. I talked to people who have retired and people in game still playing that I knew was on the verge of retirement. I needed advice and the proper mindset before I did step away. Now that I stepped away, it was like peeling off a band-aid. The above mindsets are honestly the only reason that EverQuest barely has its head above water right now. SOE/Smedley/Devs know that EverQuest has a fair share of people who cannot let go well after the game stops being enjoyable to them. So they take advantage of it and make promises after promises that better things are coming, when fact is, they fail to make good on these promises about 50% or more of the time (especially these days and in the last 2-3 years) - I woke up and smelled the coffee and I realized that EverQuest was stuck in a perpetual loop of the same shit over and over again with slight variations each time where new expansions are concerned. Nothing changes but the inflated AA counts, Monty Haul gear and level cap. Quite honestly, I should have retired and walked away back in circa 2004-2005 when many others were smart and did. EverQuest is several years past its prime. In the end, I'll miss the EverQuest of a decade or so ago. Not the EverQuest of today. The EverQuest of today is what is pushing me and many others into retirement.
Kelefane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
BastardLunatic
Is a bald rat cunt

BastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond reputeBastardLunatic has a reputation beyond repute

The eq of a decade ago is up and running at project 99.
Victory over Frodlin, Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:15 pm.

Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst.
When Nero used Christians as human torches, that was the only time they brought any light into the world.
Mankind will never be free to progress and advance to its destined position as the pre-eminent intelligent species in the galaxy until the last stone from the last church is cast down onto the last priest.
BastardLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
sojero
title, custom

sojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond reputesojero has a reputation beyond repute

I feel where you are coming from. My wife and I both played when we got together, and she now only logs on to help the raids when we are short pallies. I keep her leveled up. I am in a mid tier guild, so we are never finished with expansions, which is nice to always have something to do, but sucks when people cant get their shit together and beat something that should be easy. Life has taken its tolls and with work, school, recently moving, and in 2 months starting to look for a new house, I don't get to play much either. I do log in most the time just for the social interactions and old time friends. I find EQ @ $30 a month for 3 accounts to be cheap way to have fun with my friends, if I go out to the bar, I spend a hell of a lot more than that. I also agree that it has become the same shit, different day type of thing recently. Every Tuesday a group of us gets on, runs the same 3-5 missions in 2-3 hrs and then logs off. We have a good time bs'ing and trying to get those rare augs from the missions, but it is the same shit over and over. The sad thing is we are all maxed out on our chars, so those rare augs are really the only chase we have. I am hoping with the new changes they are making with the next expansion, and there are some nice ones for SK's, that it will breath some life back in for me, otherwise with the time I will be taking off to house hunt etc, I may also not return.
sojero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Gudkaap Darktouch
Patton Oswalt is my Messiah.

Gudkaap Darktouch has much to be proud ofGudkaap Darktouch has much to be proud ofGudkaap Darktouch has much to be proud ofGudkaap Darktouch has much to be proud ofGudkaap Darktouch has much to be proud ofGudkaap Darktouch has much to be proud ofGudkaap Darktouch has much to be proud ofGudkaap Darktouch has much to be proud ofGudkaap Darktouch has much to be proud ofGudkaap Darktouch has much to be proud ofGudkaap Darktouch has much to be proud of

Yeah I'm with you Kele, I was raid leading and my RA started dropping, not botghering to work quests to open raids cuz i just couldn't get the drive, and most of my oldest guildies had already retired. In the last year I also met the woman who is to become my wife, and the old reason of "well there's nothing else to do, guess i'll log in and see what's going on" held no water. The achievement system started to feel thin and worthless, the open zones removed the secondary reason to work progression, boxing to camp augs got boring and couldn't care how well my boxes and alts were geared. Just recently posted to the officers that i'm going on indefinate break, I'll probably keep my accounts active, but with school, work, family and wife, i doubt I'll find the time to get in. and yes, i did try to get the wife into the game, she prefers console style smash and bash and eq was not enough explosions.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
Deccado
Eater of Babes

Deccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond repute

Kele, It's been a long run. I quit three to four years ago, though recently I wanted to see what the community was up to. I had a slightly different deal, what with getting a new job and all. I remember quitting to take an ibanking job days after Culd saying there's no way to break into ibanking without a pedigree. Fast forward to this past summer, and I re-upped for three months to check shit out. Turns out the EQ wheel turns without you, and that wheel is relentless. No offense to current players or people who knew and hated me, but I've forgot more about game mechanics than most people will ever know - Brael can even speak to the same feeling. But unlike you, I was never bleeding edge - I was PvP. And that aspect without your friends (my guild retired) and without the thrill (I was always under-geared, but recently that was ridiculous) doesn't leave a lot of enjoyment. In short, life has been good over the recent years but EQ has not. I, like you, retire with significantly more than my share of toys - toys that people would pay dearly to possess. Regardless, I hope that something benefits the kids (no offense) and the friends I leave behind. Luckily, I still have these boards to haunt - though mostly in the Flame forum. I recommend being an (in)frequent viistor to the boards, as they provide the last link to a game I loved for over a decade. And they also provide a link to personalities I respect (again, Culd) even though they may be misguided. Kele, for all your fucked-up-ness, you'll be missed. Decc
Old 10-17-2014, 11:48 PM   #6
Deccado
Eater of Babes

Deccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond reputeDeccado has a reputation beyond repute

Kele (and all old-timers that didn't pre-date me): If you're interested, every summer we do a reunion in Chicago for good people we met through the game. If you ever plan to be in the area, message me and we'll include you. I only wish I could include Bolas and Reddog. Congrats and sadness on you retirement, Decc
Old 10-18-2014, 01:45 AM   #7
Kelefane
[RETIRED]

Kelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond reputeKelefane has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Decc! Yeah, Ive been around forever as you know. It was a good run. It was just my time to go. The EQ of today and in the future just isn't for me anymore. I retire with no regrets or second thoughts. That is when you know its time. And yeah, I'll still haunt these boards for sure!
Kelefane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
kassdax
Here's your dam custom title; get off my ass.

kassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond reputekassdax has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Kelefane Yea we piss each other off in the political shit and I've even annoyed the hell out of you in game but I'll still miss seeing you run around PoK. Sorry to hear about your guild...explosions suck and rebuilding is a PITA. If you do ever come back to the game shoot me a note in here and I'll show you how to play again. :P
Old 10-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
flatchy
I got my AA the old fashioned way I earned em

flatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond reputeflatchy has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised, then again I was not. Will miss sending you annoying PM's in game man. I have harbored these same feelings myself a lot lately. It does seem like a grind and I look forward to the days I take off from EQ. I may not be far behind you. You can always pop in from time to time on the silver account to say hi to folks. I wish you well Kele and wanted to thank you for the help you have given to me and my friends in game during your time.

15 level 115
toons, who do I want to be today???
flatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Tearsin Rain
your joy is my low

Tearsin Rain has much to be proud ofTearsin Rain has much to be proud ofTearsin Rain has much to be proud ofTearsin Rain has much to be proud ofTearsin Rain has much to be proud ofTearsin Rain has much to be proud ofTearsin Rain has much to be proud ofTearsin Rain has much to be proud ofTearsin Rain has much to be proud ofTearsin Rain has much to be proud ofTearsin Rain has much to be proud of

honestly, i'm surprised it took this long - i pictured you dropping out around VOA, never thought you'd make it this long. NOW who am i gonna talk to in order to get vague and half-gibberish answers to questions about event mechanics!? jeez...